Thursday, April 26, 2012

Equal enough (if that's even possible)

Last week when I saw that our QAL block was equilateral triangles, I was all "Psh. Please. Easy. I just made apple cores."  You should already have that inkling that things didn't go well. BTW, I checked my apple core die and the curve is much less severe, so now I'm looking forward to using it instead of feeling nervous.

I made the template with no trouble. As I cut my triangles I noticed there was a slight offness to the pieces, but I completely ignored this and thought "It'll all come out in the stitching." And it did, but totally not the way I had thought.


It didn't come out tall enough and my random piecing isn't so hot. Let's look closer at some hungry points:


While we're at it let's take a closer look at my horrible point-matching:


I didn't want to unpick all the seams, so I decided to make another block. I was extremely careful with my template and my cutting, and things already were shaping up (hahaha--see what I did there? it's a triangle block? and things were shaping up? geddit? geddit? hello?). I reread the instructions and went along much more carefully. And, for the most part, I'm pleased.


This time I just stuck with my two favorite fabrics (as though you couldn't tell that already) since I have the most of those and the other fabrics are winding down to scrappy bits. I switched up the placement a bit and went with diamonds. There are a few little wiggles, but not so bad. They should quilt right out. And the points match much better this time:


Not perfect, but perfectly imperfect, which is how I like things. See you soon! I've got a new camera and I've been playing :)

4 comments:

  1. See, this is why precise piecing gives me nightmares! #2 did come out much better though

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, this is why I don't think I would be a good quilter... this mismatched piecing would drive me absolutely crazy! Glad it's you and not me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As my old Nanna would say " A blind man on a galloping horse would never notice"! :0)
    We are always more critical of our own stuff, most people will never notice if you don't point it out.
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's how I like things too!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...