Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I like orange. And plaid.

One of my oldest friends (in length of time of said friendship, not in actual years because, as she will remind me, I'm older than her :) asked me to make her a bag. I printed off a few pictures and she selected one of the simplest patterns to construct. But then she told me the colors she liked and I thought "Hmmm...not sure how this will play out...," especially since she threw in "I looooooove plaids, but flowers are good too." I'm all for yellow and green and orange--nice and citrus-summer, but I didn't know what I would find. I found a few florals that weren't quite hitting the mark and was getting a bit discouraged. And then, just like that, Lucy's Crab Shack by Sweetwater for Moda, was released. With an orange and green plaid. My brain wiring leads me to believe such things are meant to be. We found a matching green dotty print right away for the lining, they were delivered like whoosh, and now it's all done.


I often wonder if I am the only person alive who cannot tie an adequate bow. This isn't even a bow, so much as a knot, which makes matters worse. But it takes the bag from a little plain to pretty cute (especially with those wood rings!). 


See? The wooden rings add such a different look than metal ones do. They're actually sold as wooden curtain rings, but I don't know how you'd get curtains on them (unless they're tab curtains), but I digress. A few quick coats of satin poly-u and they were ready.


This whole bag is just so summery and casual to me, so grab and go, so unfussy. I've made this bag once before (altering the construction a bit) and decided I would make myself one (but never did). Maybe if I say it this time it'll happen. I'm going to make myself one. There. Let's see if that does it.


The inside is an apple green dot print that matches just right. I like edging the inside pockets in a contrasting fabric--that little detail just adds something fun. The other side of the bag has a zip pocket. I could probably get a zipper into this bag for the closure, but it might be a bit restrictive. It's a deeper bag though, so a mag snap should be secure enough.


The details:
Outside fabric:  Lucy's Crab Shack Beach Blanket in Orange and Green Apple by Sweetwater for Moda
Lining fabric: Reunion Ava's Apron in Green Apple by Sweetwater for Moda (I bought both at the Fat Quarter Shop).
Wooden rings: found on eBay, but they also have them here
The pattern: found here, but altered a bit.

Linking up here this week:

15 comments:

  1. If you like orange, you should come to Holland now. All the streets are dressed in orange for Euro 2012 ;-) Love the bag, great work!
    Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one who has trouble tying bows!! Love this bag and the fabric combination is so cute together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew I was loving that Lucy's Crab Shack for a reason!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the "bow" and the fabric you chose. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Visiting from Skip to my Lou - and I am your newest follower! You are a very talented seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely fabric, and cute bag too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute bag! I tend to not like "hobo" bags, but this one seems just right. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loves my bag! Can't wait to c it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This bag is so cute! I really like the colors, they are great for summer. I also love the wooden rings. I would love if you would share this and any other posts at Showcase Your Talent Thursday http://whatscookinglove.blogspot.com/2012/05/showcase-your-talent-thursday-9.html. I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! Thanks for linking up to Flaunt It Friday! :) Hope you will come back and visit!

    Sarah
    @ www.dottedlinecrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great job! This looks great and I like your "bow" :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is gorgeous, what lovely colours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, just wanted to let you know that I have mentioned this post on my blog. If there is anything you would like for me to remove, please let me know. Cheers Jennifer

    www.eatcraftsow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. super cute! great job!

    janiene
    http://bishopsfamilysite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a cute and pretty bag! thanks for sharing, Bethany. have a fab weekend!

    Hugs,
    Lelanie @ to-sew-with-love.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...