Tuesday, April 2, 2013

All Good Things Must Come to an End--So They Say

I'm going to start thinking it's me. Every time I like something it gets discontinued. Like L'Oreal Quick Stick foundation makeup. My absolute favorite makeup in the history of the world, and they discontinued it. I have yet to find something that comes close to it. It's been about ten years and I'm still not over it, such was my affection. Also? Maybelline's Lash Expansion mascara. Wonderful stuff. Great brush, lush lashes. Gone. Basis Face Wash. Bye-bye. And now? Google Reader.


I'm sure you've heard by now that Google Reader will cease to exist as of July 1. I thought it was a wonderful Google product, and I cannot fathom why they would do away with it, but they are. At least they gave us plenty of time to find other reader services, as well as to alert our followers that things are changing. I don't know if this affects Google Friend Connect and thus what shows up on your Blogger dashboard. I hope not. Anybody know?

Anyhoodle--I've been on the lookout for other reader services that I like and can share with you. You can already follow me via GFC (which will hopefully stay put), or via email. I've got a way for you to follow me via LinkyTools in the sidebar, but I've never checked out that service as a reader (and to be honest I only added it as an option once GFC wasn't going to be available to non-Bloggers).  I signed up with Bloglovin' (you can follow me there via the button in the sidebar) but as a reader I'm not entirely thrilled with it. It was insanely easy to import my info from Google so everything shows up nice and tidy. I'm not crazy about the format, though.

So I've tried something else called Feedly. They also make it insanely easy to import the blogs you follow from Google. The reading format is very nice, and their mobile app is glorious (at least on my Android phone it is). Bloglovin' has an iPhone app, and I think I found it on Android but it got very low ratings so I passed on it. The only negative for me (and I'm sure they'll get to it once the mass influx to their site calms down) is that they don't offer a 'follow me' button that you can add to your blog. I like when a blog makes it easy to find a follow option, so I try to provide the same ease to my readers.

Have you been looking into new readers? Anything I haven't mentioned that you think is good?

8 comments:

  1. I'm so worried about losing any of my favourite blogs I have them all in several places at the moment! Pulse is a great iPad app, I really like the format but it's only a reader and holds 60 blogs - this does not begin to cover my list - I need to figure out if I can add extras. I agree, it's easy to move everything to Bloglovin but it's not the best format to read at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how in feedly and bloglovin it shows how many people recommend/likes your post! I don't get many tho' but each one is such a thrill. If you prefer the reader look and feel, check out theoldreader. it's exactly like that. it takes at least a week to import your subscriptions tho'. once it's done, they'll send you a email.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as I can work out people seem to be moving towards Bloglovin. I tend follow through GFC and view my blogs through Blogger dashboard though and I really don't know if this is going to be affected. Looks like a bit of a pickle to me x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm using Feedly and I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In what way do you use a reader?
    Hate when products we love go away!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe GFC and the dashboard will remain, that's how I read all mine :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really going to miss Google Reader! But so far, http://theoldreader.com seems to be the most similar. You can import your subscriptions from Google Reader but there is a REALLY long queue, so it takes a while for them to transfer over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt so abandoned when I saw the Google Reader announcement!! Not to be overly dramatic, but I needed to compose myself and my family was worried there for a few minutes!! ;)

    I didn't take the news well and decided that night to find my new reader. I wanted to ditch Reader before it ditched me...louts. Anyway, did some reading on readers to get recommendations and I tried several of the most recommended, Bloglovin', The Old Reader and Feedly, signing up for each one and transferring my info from Reader.

    The Old Reader was the most like Google Reader but something happened and I started to feel a bit uneasy on it so I deleted my account. It's probably totally fine and I'm being weird...as usual!! :) While I see a lot of movement to Bloglovin' and I love that they send a daily email of that day's activity...and I so wanted to like it best....I think Feedly suits me. I like how you can toggle display formats, it kept my categories from Reader (it didn't seem like Bloglovin' did that) and it's easy to add content. And it's so easy on the eyes!! :)





    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...