When I went to the free pattern online, I saw that the frames were no longer available. But using the pattern and a ruler, I figured what the most likely size of the frame would be. I ordered the closest thing I could find on Etsy, and when that arrived, modified the pattern to fit just right. Second box checked: frame acquired.
I needed to wait until the frame arrived to see if I could use the same style handle used in this bag. So after a quick check, third box checked: handle ordered and never-quickly-enough-because-Prime-two-day-shipping-has-spoiled-you delivered.
Then I cut and sewed, yada yada yada, and now here's what I'm carrying.
The original frame used has a bit of a curve to it, but I'll take what I can get. I have a shaky relationship with hand-gathered ruffles, and things didn't improve with this bag. I got there in the end, but there was begging and pleading for sure.
The bag is actually a really good size. It holds all of my stuff easily, but isn't so large that I feel inclined to stuff it as I do with my tote-style bags.
For the interfacing, I used Pellon's sew-in foam interlining. I really love the squishy but firm structure it gives a bag. As this frame is quite large (10 x 3.5 inches) the extra oomph of the foam really helps it keep its shape.
I don't think a thing exists that isn't helped by more sparkle. These clip-on handles fit nicely onto this frame. If the fit wasn't right, I would have made a fabric handle sewn to lobster hooks, but it wouldn't have been as much fun.
I am just so super in love with this bag. The glue I used for the frame has an Incredible Hulk level of strength to it, so I feel quite confident I won't have an issue with the weight of it.
Now if I could just learn to walk in high heels and have the willingness to spend a month's rent on a pair of shoes I'd be all set.